Saturday, April 30, 2011

Last Days in Ayacucho

I think the timing of my last post may have confused some of you. The vacation I blogged about was actually in the last weeks of February and early March....but I was slow to write about it. I have now in fact been back since in Ayacucho since March 7 but am getting ready to leave this weekend...for good!

The last two months have flown by but have been overall pretty good (but busy). Work at FINCA in particular in the last two months was quite demanding. The children's program, AFLATOUN, started up again the second week of March and I was pretty busy organizing everything, writing lesson plans and of course teaching the little ones. Honestly, saying goodbye to the kids this week was one of the hardest goodbyes I've had to do here in Ayacucho! I also dedicated a lot of my time to working on a video for FINCA, a tribute to women at FINCA and in Ayacucho that will premier for the socias on Mother's Day. FINCA employees wrote the script and I did the filming, editing, etc...I will post a link to the video as soon as I get it uploaded!

Today was my last day at FINCA which I am mostly happy about but is definitely a big deal for me. Working there was an experience I will never ever forget and from which I have learned so much. Today the employees surprised me with a mini going-away party that was very sweet. They gave me gifts and made little speeches for me. I felt very honored by the gesture and even more so to have had the opportunity to work alongside such strong women during the past 7 months.

Changing subjects, one very exciting thing that has happened in Ayacucho recently was Semana Santa...the holy week leading up to Easter. Semana Santa is taken very seriously in Ayacucho and is actually considered, after Spain, to be the most important holy week in all of Latin America. Tourists come from all over the world to see the elaborate processions and reenactments of the events leading up to Christ's resurrection. Though I did not witness it, there is even a day in which a man dressed as Jesus is violently whipped and tied to a cross....interesting. Events for Semana Santa usually begin Thursday (10 days before Easter) but I didn't really start participating and checking out the scene until a little later in the week. What I did see though, was really beautiful. Each afternoon/evening locals fill the plaza to create elaborate "alfombras," or carpets, made out of painted saw dust, flower petals and/or paint (typical to latin america). Then, elaborate processions that commemorate the story of Christ pass over the alfombras each night. Perhaps the most unique procession that I witnessed, was on Good Friday. A lit up "coffin" of christ" and a large Mary Magdelen dressed in black and mourning was carried through the streets. Most of the lights in the center of town were turned off and people only carry candles. Very catholic women in Ayacucho actually dress in all black and weep as they walk through the streets. Other exciting Semana Santa events included a running of the bulls (also like in Spain) and a party on Saturday night with nearly 3 hours of fireworks!

Pictures of Semana Santa to come soon!


Well as I mentioned, today is my last day in Ayacucho. Tomorrow I leave for a five week trip around Peru!! I am going with one of my Peruvian friends and expect to have an amazing adventure. I will update you all on my whereabouts! Muchos besos!!

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Yes I think I am the first again! Like to see the pictures of Semana Santa it sounds very cool. Too bad I had to miss that. But here we celibrated the queens birthday. Also lots of fun! Have fun with one of your friends;) jaja traveling. Say hi to geeta and the little shits for me if you see them. And enjoy your last few weeks! Beso

    ReplyDelete